CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE 2023 GIVE TEAM 15 CHALLENGE!
The Give Team 15 is the warm-up for Give Team workouts. It's a series of 15 exercises performed for 45 seconds followed by a 15 second rest. The beauty of The Give Team 15 is it can be tailored to suit your needs.
Ideally it is performed for METABOLIC CONDITIONING, where you perform as many reps as possible during the 45 second period.
The Give Team 15 can also be used as a STRENGTH TRAINING tool by adding a weight vest, sandbag or weighted ruck.
Lastly, The Give Team 15 can be used as a MOBILITY TOOL, where each exercise is performed intentionally and slowly, working deeply into each movement.
For those who are interested in a slightly different (and in some ways more intensely focused challenge, The Give Team 15 - Core is listed at the bottom of this page).
The most IMPORTANT part of The Give Team 15 is CONSISTENCY. During #THEGIVETEAM15 Challenge in June, team members are expected to perform The Give Team 15 EVERY DAY.
THE GIVE TEAM 15 - STANDARD
- Deep Squat: Stand with your feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart, toes pointing forward. Throw your hips back while you lower yourself down, engaging your core, bending your knees, keeping your weight on your heels (don't raise up on your toes), extending hands forward if you need for balance. Then explode up from your heels, tightening your glutes at the top. DROP DEEP.
- Skater Lunges: From a standing position with feet shoulder-width apart, slowly step your left leg back diagonally behind your right leg. Lower into a lunge until your knee almost touches the floor. Launch / hop laterally onto the left leg, swinging the right leg behind your left and lowering into the lunge. ALTERNATIVE: When you get tired, don't STOP, and don't HOP, just step back and forth.
- Lunge Jumps: From a standing position, step forward with your left leg keeping weight on your heel while you lower down until your right knee nearly touches the ground, then HOP UP and switch legs with your right leg stepping forward. ALTERNATIVE: Regular lunges.
- 1-Leg Bridge Kicks: Sitting on the ground, raise yourself so you're in a table position, with arms straight, feet flat on the ground, and core tight. Kick your left leg straight out, then push off with your right leg kicking the right foot out. Try to keep your butt high. ALTERNATIVE: Hold a crab plank where you tighten core with both feet on the ground, and squeeeeeeeze glutes.
- Squat Jumps: Same as Deep Squat, except push off your heels and launch into the air, reaching high. Keep weight on heels as you lower. ALTERNATIVE: Regular squat.
- Arm Extender / Chain Breaker: Bend arms 90 degrees and hold parallel to ground. Keeping arms bent, reach back with elbows as if you're trying to touch elbows behind your back and feel the squeeze, then extend in front so hands touch, then repeat.
- Dips: Use a bench or chair or coffee table or bumper of a car. Or a dip bar, if you have access to one. Hold your body up with straightened arms, hands on bench. Lower body with arms bending elbows so they're close to you're body until they're bent 90 degrees, then straighten arms. Make it more difficult by EXPLODING up.
- Push Ups: Hands under shoulders, keep core tight and elbows close to body, lowering until chin touches the ground. If chin or chest don't touch, it doesn't count. Then raise body. KEEP BACK FLAT - don't dip hips or raise hips. ALTERNATIVE: Go to knees. DO NOT QUIT. Worst case would be to hold a plank position.
- Pike Push Ups: Same as push ups, except bring hands closer to feet, hips raised in the air. Lower head between hands. Hold shoulders solid. ALTERNATIVE: Hold firmly as an A-frame plank / downward dog. Squeeze shoulders.
- Standing Bicycle Crunch: Standing with hands behind head, raise left knee while lowering head to touch right elbow to the knee. Keep core tight, including the glute of your planted foot. Lower leg and stand straight, raising opposite leg to opposite elbow. KEEP CORE TIGHT.
- 1-Arm V-Ups: Laying flat on the ground with hands over head, hold feet 6 inches off the ground, raise your upper body off the ground reaching with your right arm straight while you raise your left leg, and touch your left toes, lower (don't let foot touch the ground), then repeat with the opposite leg and hand. KEEP CORE TIGHT. (video example shows both arms). REGRESSION: Lay back with leg extended, back flat on ground and feet 6" off the ground. THE GROUND IS LAVA - feet don't touch.
- Russian Twist: Sit on the ground with feet flat, then raise feet 6" off the ground, keeping core tight, knees together, holding hands together, twist core until your right hand touches the ground next to your left hip, then rotate to the other side touching your left hand next to your right hip. THE GROUND IS LAVA - feet don't touch - and knees stay together. REGRESSION: Sit with feet off ground.
- Mountain Climber: Plank position on your hands, back flat and core tight, pull left knee toward your chest (do not touch left foot to ground), then replace left foot, pulling right knee toward chest, and alternate.
- Ranger Crawl / Spiderman Plank: Plank position on hands (or you can hold on elbows, as on video), with hands under shoulders, core contracted, raise right knee laterally and bring it to right elbow, then replace leg on ground. Repeat with the left knee to the left elbow.
- Burpees: Yeah. That's right. The only time you're happy to do burpees is during #thegiveteam15 because IT'S THE LAST EXERCISE. Standing, drop to the ground with your chest touching the ground, then push up with hands, use core to jump feet close to the hands, and jump from heels with hands overhead, clapping at the top, then repeat.
THE GIVE TEAM 15 - CORE
Same as THE GIVE TEAM 15 - STANDARD, these exercises are to be done for 45 seconds with a 15 second break. For each of these exercises, FOCUS ON KEEPING YOUR CORE ENGAGED. Make sure the effort is from the core and not primarily from your hip flexors or other parts of your body.
- Standing Bicycle: Same as above. Standing up with hands behind your head, raise your left knee up and bend with a core crunch to touch your right elbow to the knee. Keep the glute on the planted leg tight and squeeze the hold for a two count. Lower the leg and switch sides back and forth.
- Bird Dog Plank: In a plank position, raise your right arm and left leg. Keep your CORE TIGHT and press your hand in front and your foot behind. Lower your leg and your hand, and raise your left arm and your right leg. REGRESSION: If keeping the entire plank is too difficult, you can do the same pointing motions from your knees
- Prone Bicycle: Same as Standing Bicycle, except from your back. Tighten your core and bring your shoulders off the ground to make your elbow meet your knee.
- Right Side Plank: Place your right hand on the ground and your right foot on the ground, raise your hip off the ground and point your hand to the sky while raising your left leg in the air, looking up your arm to the sky. Keep your core tight, stay balanced and DO NOT LET YOUR HIPS DIP. REGRESSION 1: Don't raise your leg or your arm. REGRESSION 2: Instead of placing your right HAND on the ground, place your right forearm on the ground.
- Left Side Plank: Same as Right Side Plank, except . . . on left side.
- Flutter Kicks: Laying flat on the ground with legs straight, tighten core so legs and shoulders are raised off the ground. Alternately kick feet up and down with that tight core. THE GROUND IS LAVA - don't let your feet hit the ground.
- Scissor Kicks: Same as Flutter Kicks, except instead of kicking legs up and down, alternately spread legs and close them.
- Hollow Man Hold: Laying flat on the ground with legs extended, and hands raised a few inches off the ground extended straight overhead, tighten core to raise arms and head up along with raising the legs off the ground. Think of yourself as creating a letter C laying on the ground with legs bending up and arms bending up from tension in the core. REGRESSION: Instead of raising hands overhead, you can point them to the sky, perpendicular to the ground.
- Russian Twist: Same as Russian Twist as part of Give Team 15 - Standard. Sit on the ground with feet flat, then raise feet 6" off the ground, keeping core tight, knees together, holding hands together, twist core until your right hand touches the ground next to your left hip, then rotate to the other side touching your left hand next to your right hip. THE GROUND IS LAVA - feet don't touch - and knees stay together. REGRESSION: Sit with feet off ground.
- Hollow Plank: In a plank position with hands underneath shoulders, tighten core and push THROUGH the shoulders, rounding your back and hold that bracing position while BREATHING.
- Seated Knee Tuck: Either from a bench / chair, or on the ground, sit up with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Raise feet up 6" with hands behind you, extend legs straight parallel to ground then bring knees back to your chest. Alternate straightening and bringing knees back. THE GROUND IS LAVA. Keep feet off the ground, and make sure your CORE is doing the work.
- Heels to Sky: Flat on your back, raise your legs straight up so bottoms of feet are facing the sky and your legs are perpendicular to the ground. Raise your hips to CRUNCH your core and raise your heels up to the sky, then lower back slowly. Raise and lower slowly for 45 seconds.
- Windshield Wipers: Flat on your back with arms extended to the side forming a T, raise straight legs. Keeping arms extended and back flat (it'll be tough keeping shoulders on the ground if you're tight), lower your legs to the right so the right side of your leg / foot touches the ground. Use your core to raise the straightened legs and lower to the left side, back and forth. REGRESSION: Bend knees.
- 1-Arm V-Up: Same as GIVE TEAM 15 - STANDARD. above. Laying flat on the ground with hands over head, hold feet 6 inches off the ground, raise your upper body off the ground reaching with your right arm straight while you raise your left leg, and touch your left toes, lower (don't let foot touch the ground), then repeat with the opposite leg and hand. KEEP CORE TIGHT. (video example shows both arms). REGRESSION: Lay back with leg extended, back flat on ground and feet 6" off the ground. THE GROUND IS LAVA - feet don't touch.
- Hollow Man Hold: Same as above.